ajsdhf;aisudhfkjashdf;ausidfh

The European adventures of A & T, a husband & wife duo filled with wanderlust.

5.31.2014

Downtown Vicenza in a Hail Storm

Who knew Italy gets hail?  Well, guess what y'all? It does! 70 degree weather turns straight into a hail storm, and your two favorite Americans experienced it all! I'll get to that in a minute...

T and I spent Friday evening in downtown Vicenza experiencing more Italian culture.  I cannot describe to you the beauty this city holds.  We hopped on a bus and wandered around until we stumbled upon the town square called the Piazza dei Signori.  I have never seen anything like it.  The streets are covered in boutiques, gelato shops, and relaxing areas to grab a drink.  I had done so much research on the city, I knew what the town square looked like, and as we approached it, I felt like I was in a scene from a movie.  We rounded a corner that opened up to the square, and I was mezmoried. Look at these gorgeous sights.  This was the second time I was almost paralyzed due to the fact we are living in Europe (the first time is an experience for a different post for sure). 
 
I totally wanted to ask that balloon made to make me a wine glass hat...#trueamericantourist

After walking a little ways, we stopped for a snack, which has a certain Italian name, and I can't remember it right now...whoops.  Most everyone's alcoholic drink of choice is "spritz aperol," a cocktail very popular in northern Italy or "prosecco," a sparkling wine (YUM).  
Fitting in with the locals nicely if I do say so myself. Salute! 

After walking a bit more, the heavens opened up.  A treacherous downpour exploded from the sky while the two Americans were the only ones in the entire city not prepared with umbrellas.  I did peak in a store to see if I could grab one, however, with a Burberry label came a heavy price tag.  Needless to say, we didn't purchase an umbrella.  Maybe next time. Hint, hint, husband!  T and I ended up taking shelter under a covered pathway to wait out the storm.  After about 5 minutes of heavy rain,  hail started pelting the ground.  T got super excited about this and started going full on photog.  I have more pictures of the hail than of the whole city of Vicenza. 
Notice he even has the knee bent.  Total photog. 

After 20 more minutes of no relief, we decide to bolt to a restaurant so we could grab some dinner before heading back to the hotel.  Mickey's Bar is where we ended up and is somewhere we will for sure be visiting again.  Only if they let us back being we drenched their entire place.    
'

And this is the delightful snack we were served by our new found Italian waiter friend.  The meat on the left is horse salami.  Is that legal in the US?  The waiter made sure we knew the cheese on this platter wasn't cheddar.  I guess that is a common thinking that American's love cheddar cheese?  Turns out it was asiago and was molto delizioso! 

 

This was the last stop of our adventurous day, and could not have been a better choice.  T and I have had so much fun wandering into random places attempting our Italian words.  We are falling in love with this place and it's rich culture more and more.

Next weekend, bring on the city of water, Venice!  Can't wait to share what gems we stumble upon there. 

Lastly, a few more beautiful pictures.








Until Next Time, 
Always 


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures and wonderful stories. We miss you more than you can imagine. Hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete